Thursday, June 22, 2006

Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers


Redeeming Love, a historical, contemporary retelling of the story of Hosea from the Bible. This book was Francine Rivers' first novel after becoming saved in 1986. I can't quite remember who turned me on to Francine Rivers, but I must say that if you want to be taken to another place and time and learn and grow in fiction, then this is a good place to start. I finished this about a week ago or so and believe it or not, it only took about 5 days to get through it. I'm not a big fan of reading anything past two hundred pages, but this work of 464 pages seemed to fly by over night. I think I was around page 100 when Jen decided to jump on board with me. When I read a novel I end up talking to Jen about it, you know character development, plot, and conflict and all that jazz. Since we love the story of Hosea in the Bible and Jen has already read two of the three books from Francine's Mark of The Lion Series as well as The Last Sin Eater, it wasn't hard for her to join in the "read" with me. It was definitely a beautiful story filled with drama only Francine could paint. It is definitely filled also with love, trials, struggles, and most of all, redemption. I highly recommend anyone read this, man, woman, and teens alike. The content is strong and as the publishers preface, it would be considered PG-13 if it were a movie. Read an excerpt here. If you have read it or go ahead and read it, please leave me you comments on the novel. The next Francine Rivers novel I plan to read is The Priest. Blessings to you!

1 comment:

ERIC SHACKLE said...

Hi Maryee.

Greetings from Sydney, Australia.


You may be interested in a story I've posted at http://lifebeginsat80.blogspot.com/

Best wishes, Eric.

[Eric Shackle is a retired Australian journalist whose hobby is searching the Internet and writing about it. He is copy editor of Anu Garg's Seattle-based A Word A Day http://wordsmith.org newsletter, which is e-mailed five days a week to more than 800,000 wordlovers in 200 countries.]